Wednesday, September 26, 2012

collaborative research paper

I tried to be very specific in my last post about the wiki the students would do, which is lucky for me because that made this week so much easier! 
 
I choose to use the Collaborative Research Papers in chapter 4. This was mainly due to the fact the students for this lesson are basic education students, trying to learn about the supreme court. It would not be fair for to the students to expect them to do much written analysis on the supreme court or their decisions.   While there will surely be in class discussions on particular cases, think asking them to use the wiki, and do the research and present it in a pleasing manner is enough. 

Now for making the assignment into a Collaborative Research Paper. 

First, I would take West and West advice have an individual Wiki for each group and the home page contain the following:

1. Assigned case
2. Group Members and have them identify their role
3.Deadlines
4. Outline of paper and questions needed to be answered
 
Now if you are following along with book you will say but wait, they say goals, you have deadlines. I think goals for this project are already pretty set up on the questions that needed to be answered.  Also when is it due is really the first thing any student wants to know when first hearing about the assignments. 

Research Page:

According to West and West this will eventually become the reference page but during the project it could be a work table, however, in my assignment it would be the reference page that when ever they find a source they are going to use it automatically goes on that page. This is for student on in person class so their "work table" can be an actual table.

Paper:

While the goal the Colloaborate Research Paper is to create one, I am hoping more for accurate information that is citied and using some other media in the wiki that adds to the page. So while the there should be plenty of type, it may not look like a very traditional paper. 

You might be wondering what the activity was and not willing to go back to my last post, so here it is for you because I like to make it easy for you!
 
 
This activity has students working in research groups to find information on an important Supreme Court case and develop an information poster to share with the class.
    Divide students into groups of four to cover as many of the cases  as necessary.
    Have each group research their assigned Case and create a wiki about their Case. Allow creativity with this project  giving them free range of how they want design the Wiki. The only requirements is they answer the following questions:
1.       when was the court case decided
2.       What was the case about? What was issues that brought it to the supreme court in the first place?
3.       What was the decision of the supreme court?
4.       What was it impact on the country?
  Have students discuss on threaded questions or in class the court cases and what they learned on their subjects. Use debriefing questions below if necessary.      
Debriefing Questions:
    Which cases involved Constitutional questions surrounding the Bill of Rights or the power of one of the branches of government?
    Which cases involved judicial review?
    Which cases involved the executive branch? The legislative branch?
    Did you agree with the Court's decision in the case you presented? Why or why not?
    Did you strongly agree or disagree with any of the other Court decisions presented? Explain why.
 
 
Thanks for reading this week!
 
PS I have discovered another problem with technology, I only have West and West on my Kindle, so I cannot cite any page numbers! So sorry about that!

West, J. and West, M. (2009). Using Wikis for Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web.  San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. 

5 comments:

  1. I have my West & West book on my Nook and I do have page numbers...whats up with your Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I think your class’ wiki projects sound like they would be an interesting read.

    I like the inclusion of the deadlines. You are right about students wanting to know the deadlines. I think it has less to do with knowing when projects need to be complete and more to do with knowing the last possible second that a project can be started. ;-)

    I think your class assignment has the potential to make a fun debate wiki as well, but that would probably be better suited to a more advanced course. I have just started looking at debatepedia as recommended in West & West and I think it sounds like a neat idea for a class project.

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I went back and read your lesson plan for last week and I like your concept. I think this is a great project for adult basic ed. Your plan and list of questions was quite detailed last week giving students a clear understanding of expectations. However, I didn't see anything about assessment. This week, I am not sure what the students are supposed to expound on concerning their case. Once the questions are answered from last week, how do you want them to expand their ideas or apply them in a critical manner? Maybe now that they have learned about the historical component of supreme court cases, they could look to the present and future for implications of that ruling and determine if there is any new evidence that could sway the court differently today? Maybe they could examine the make-up of the judges at the time of the ruling to explore potential political party influence compared to the political affiliations of the current justices.

    I think students would enjoy this type of wiki project. It is engaging and can easily be related to real world experience. I like the color scheme of your blog, but it would be nice to see some graphics or other visual enhancements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I liked the way you put your project together and I think you have to make correlations with certain terms like the goals and deadlines issue. The fields we all work in include learners on so many different levels that it can be hard to place everything nicely in an exact outline form. I think a wiki would work well for a collaborative research project on Supreme Court cases. West & West (2009, pg 88) said “collaborative writing projects can be adapted to almost any discipline and help students develop information literacy and group collaboration skills.” As you are teaching adult basic education students, I think this project will work well at developing those skills
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,

    I think you did a good job of designing a Wiki using the Collaborative Research Paper format, as outlined in West & West (2009). Your instructions set clear expectations and provided the necessary structure for students to collaborate and produce a true research project (without being presented as a traditional research paper). I just wonder if you should have given them more instructions on the goal of the project, rather than the deadline…just a thought? Also, I think a grading method should have been specified – this serves a dual purpose of providing the learner with expected outcomes (the requirements for an A, B, etc). According to West & West, providing and explicit assessment or grading scheme helps students’ motivation to complete the Wiki. (Kindle Locations 845-849).

    PS: I have the same issue with the Kindle page numbers. I have submitted feedback asking for this issue to be addressed. I would suggest you do so as well.


    References:

    West, Margaret L. (2008-12-23). Using Wikis for Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web (Jossey-Bass Guides to Online Teaching and Learning) (Kindle Locations 845-849). Wiley Publishing. Kindle Edition.

    ReplyDelete